Thursday, September 21, 2017

Properties of Numbers Foldable

I recently reviewed properties of numbers with my students.  We completed a foldable with definitions and examples (both numerical and algebraic). 


Then I had my students complete a Two Truths and a Lie activity.  The premise is the same as the popular game: make two true statements and one false one; let someone else figure out which statement was the lie.  To make it "math-y," the statements were all about properties of numbers.  For homework, my students wrote their own Two Truths and a Lie about the properties.  The next day, volunteers shared theirs, and the class decided which statement was the lie.


This was my first time implementing Two Truths and a Lie in class.  I figured the examples I showed first would help students write their own.  I was a little disappointed by the quality of examples students wrote for homework, but I think most of that can be remedied with better directions.  Many of my students wrote correct examples of the properties, but did not specify which property each statement was an example of, so we had no way of knowing which was the lie.  Other students missed entirely that the statements were supposed to be about properties of numbers and not random math equations.  I'm excited to try this activity again with clearer instructions next time!

The documents are available to download if you'd like.  I've included two versions of the foldable: one that is completely blank and one with the definitions (but not examples) filled in.

View/Download: Properties of Numbers Foldable and Two Truths and a Lie Example


No comments:

Post a Comment