Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Teacher Report Card

Usually I wait until the end of the year to get feedback about my teaching and classroom practices from students.

Writing that sentence sounds crazy.  WHY would I wait until the end of the school year?!  I can't make any adjustments to my teaching practices then.  I can certainly make changes for the coming year, but by then I'll have a new group of students; some changes will still be for the better, but current students are telling me what works for them now.  It's like giving a formative assessment after the unit test.

A few days ago, I saw this tweet about giving students a Teacher Report Card.

https://twitter.com/MrVaudrey/status/943473756260806656

And it just made so much sense!  Get feedback from students during the school year so that I can start making adjustments now.

While January 1 and the new calendar year are natural starting points, that's just not feasible for me right now.  I came across this tweet at the start of winter break, so I will not see my students until after January 1st.  However, second semester starts at the end of January, which seems to me a great alternative to the new year starting date.

I edited the Teacher Report Card google form slightly - I am not brave enough to ask my students if they think I have bad breath, and there were a few questions I wanted to add.  Then I emailed the link to my students.  I planned on explaining the report card survey to students when we return from winter break and let them know that they have two weeks to get me their feedback.  I was surprised to see that some of my students have been checking their school email over break and have already completed the survey!

Here are some of the comments on the open response questions so far.  The enlarged ones are the comments that had the biggest initial impact for me.

Sometimes, the teacher ________, but not always.
  • Freaks out over small things
  • has moments
  • let's kids take advantage of her
  • controls the class
  
Sometimes, the teacher lets the class ________, but not always.
  • Talk while doing work
  • Talk
  • run around too much
  • get off topic
 
What do you like BEST about the class?
  • She teaches the lessons clearly and not rush the lesson.
  • i like that i can learn the math at the pace that helps me but also at the same time makes sure the class is fun and a great class to come to each day
  • She makes sure I get the help I need and she cares that I want learn a lot more about math. I like that she listens to me. I like when I am stuck she comes over and help me. I glad she is happy when I ask a question. ( I might ask too many, in my opinion, she might think differently)
  • I like how she is involved in our lives and helps us no matter what 

KEEP: What is one thing Ms. Ess should keep doing in class?
  • You should keep the number pockets with all the supplies and also keep doing the review on the do nows.
  • Not giving home Work often.
  • Explains things to a point
  • Ms Ess should keep doing the same organizational note book for future reference or more help with units we don’t understand that well.

CHANGE: What is one thing Ms. Ess should change about what she does in class?
  • You should change my seat. And the seating arrangement. It’s hard to see with the sun glare and also from the side it’s hard to see the do nows. 
  • Ms Ess should change having assigned seats that she picks, but have us pick our seats and tell her that’s where we want to sit until otherwise based on behavior and work ethic. 
  • maybe you should be a tad bit more strict to make sure kids listen to you and behave
  • you aren't harsh enough on the kids if they're rude make them leave. none of them know respect sometimes including myself so just make them leave. 

START: What is one thing Ms. Ess should start doing in class?
  • You should play calming music.
  • give more harsh punishments/control the class
  • Ms Ess should start having efficient time limits on assignments to keep the class on task at all times and to have more time to go over more thorough topics.
  • putting percents on tests and quizzes.

STOP: What is one thing Ms. Ess should stop doing in class?
  • stop letting kids take advantage of her niceness
  • allowing kids to do what they please
  • letting the kids that disrespect her get by with out a punishment
  • Ms Ess should stop treating the kids that are misbehaving with such simple simple punishments so the kids think it’s okay to continue their same ways.

Anything else you want to tell me?
  • You are a good teacher you just freak out for no reason
  • I like the way the lessons go but I am confused on your grading system and wish it was more fair with the way we understand things on tests.
  • you're an amazing teacher! if i'm having a bad day i always look forward to your class to make it better! you're so nice and a better teacher than a lot of the teachers i've had. thank you for being so great and never doubting me. p.s. i don't really hate math like i say i do i just get confused too much keep being a great teacher :)
  • you're cool as heck

It's an ego boost and a lesson in humility all in one.  While I'm really not surprised that my students have identified the same weaknesses that I see in myself, there's something about hearing it from them that is a little more motivating.  Time to get to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment